a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

February 3, 2009

A day in the life of....

The Kohlenstein family - 2 parents, 2 children, 2 dogs. Everyone needs attention ALL the time. Let me start by saying Owen & Camden have had the worlds worst cold for 8 days, virus attached... this has now passed to mommy and daddy. This particular day comes from the eyes of mommy, as daddy left for work at 7:00am. Awoken by the sound of Cammie crying/talking/sitting up/just not happy... at 6:30am. After about 10 minutes of letting her "work it out", I finally rushed through my morning routine of shower and make-up. Got Cammie out of bed, dressed, and gave her a dose of the inhaler recently prescribed by the doctor (helps minimize inflammation and clear her lungs...all will be fine). Back to my room for an attempt of putting myself together, here's Owen. He is now talking and yelling for me. Cammie and I get him out of bed, dressed, and he also gets the pleasure of the inhaler. Did I mention, that our children actually like this mask like contraption placed over their face as they breathe?

All downstairs for breakfast. You can't move fast enough for either child, Owen screaming for milk and Cammie wants her bottle NOW. I got them settled, Owen couldn't decide on breakfast so I'm pretty sure he didn't eat the cereal in front of him. I got Owen ready to head out the door, only to be taken back by a dirty diaper. Quick change and we move on. I ran upstairs to gather a few things only to be greeted by Owen at the top of the stairs, he apparently followed me and Joey (the dog) sitting next to him. I am so close to leaving the house and Joey throws up on the carpet. A few choice words in my head, while Owen was saying "Joey go poop on floor". I ran downstairs to run back upstairs to clean the mess. All done, moving on to Cammie (who was waiting patiently at the bottom of the stairs). Coat is on and then it hits me, she has a dirty diaper. I was so close to loading the car. Quick change and we move on.

Out the door, juggling a bag, lunch, travel mug with coffee, and of course Camden. I set the coffee on the hood of the car, leaning against the windshield, and loaded the kids in the car. Ahhhh, it is a big relief to get to this point in my morning. Until, I turn towards my coffee (my morning energy) and find it has tipped over, the lid was open (not closed like it should have been) and the engine of the Pilot had the pleasure of enjoying almost my entire cup of coffee... and the garage floor. Back inside to fill the cup again, wow... a half a cup of coffee. On the road to Regina's, Cammie is a little fussy today. Dr did say that the steroids have a side effect of moodiness (did I mention, she is on Steroids for her cold... yeah, bad cold). We pull up to Regina's and rather than Owen normally running to the front door he decides to have a meltdown for now reason. This is exactly how Regina wants to be greeted, I'm sure... bad enough our kids have snotty noses and awful coughs. We chat for a few minutes, I kiss my babies good-bye for the day and Owen practically shoves me out the door. As I stand on the outside of the glass door waving bye-bye to Owen and Camden... it happened! Camden pulled herself up on a toy and was STANDING! Yeah... big girl. She was so happy and proud! What a great moment, especially after the morning.

A day at work for both of us. A got a heads up late in the afternoon that Cammie was very fussy... great. Picked up the babies, home by 5:45pm. For 30 minutes, nothing I did made anyone happy. Camden was content for a bit crawling on the floor and making noises. She ate great and I gave her the spoon and bowl to play with, she made a mess but was very content. Owen on the other hand, WOW... the smallest things were frustrating to him. He did not want me to hold Camden or give her any attention. I wasn't even sure what to do for him! Just miserable. Where is daddy! No, that was me asking (not Owen). I carry two kids upstairs to start bath time. It is only 6:15pm. The top of the stairs and into the kids bathroom, I look down to find Joey has thrown up again. Seriously... SERIOUSLY! I am sick and I'm tired, I have two crabby kids because they are sick and tired and daddy is not home yet. AHHHHHH!

I hear the keys, daddy is home. Owen stands at the tops of the stairs waiting for daddy to come play. That is an understatement... "play". A grown man and a 2 year old idea of play, chasing each other around the house and hiding behind doors, beds, screaming, and being silly. I am giving Camden a bath and then it happens... a loud scream. Owen is screaming hysterical, he's hurt. In come daddy caring Owen, my sweet little man in tears. "What just happened"... Owen ran smack into the door frame! This perfect little face with big blue eyes and nose that red and chapped (from blowing his nose) now has a bruise from his forehead down to cheekbone... a welt, puffy eye, and a huge bruise. Not to worry, he is ALL boy and has the quickest recovery time of anyone that I know. Boo boo bunny on the cheek and we moved on.

Camden in bed and Owen was touch and go during his dinner and bath. Finally, he snuggled in my arms and we red books. Tonight was the first night he let me walk out of his room without the sound of a cry. He even called my name as I approached the door, I went back to his bed hoping it he would say "I love you" but instead he said "daddy night night". He is truly an angel and we are blessed with the two sweetest gifts. Every day is an adventure, always.

No comments: