a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

June 10, 2009

Owen's Big Boy Bed!

It's official... another huge milestone for Owen! The crib is packed up and he is sleeping in his big boy bed. A full size, extremely comfortable bed, to be exact. We set up the bed and left the crib in his room for about a week. We read books on the bed, rested on the pillows, and under the covers. Every night, Owen's last request was "Owen sleep in crib". That lasted about a week, daddy went out of town, and mommy took down the crib. I was a little nervous on how this would play out with Erik out of town for the first 3 nights of Owen in a bed. I couldn't help but wonder how many times would I have a visitor in my room?


Night One - Few minutes of soft crying as mommy left the room. That was it... really? Owen slept all night, no wondering out of his room, no middle of the night visitor. In the morning, I heard his bedroom door close so I went in the hall (I wasn't sure what to expect) and I was greeted by my little man, blankie in tow and he said "hi... Owen slept in bed"! He was so excited and proud.


Night Two - Barely a peep as I left the room. Two hours after sleeping, Owen left the room. Where did he go? I was in the kids bathroom painting (and drinking my wine) and heard a toilet seat close in the distance. I quietly call his name and slowly walk to our bedroom only to find him in my dark bathroom and he says "mom, Owen woke up and come find mommy. I have to pee pee". He used the potty, right back in bed, sound asleep until morning. Of course his idea of morning was 6am... please no!

Night Three - Bedtime is not an issue, we read books, he lays down, we leave the room, he sleeps. However, Owen does not understand the concept of "sleeping in". I will take sleeping until 6:45am... anything past 6am. He consistently wakes up, leaves his room, shuts the bedroom door (quietly but the monitor still picks up the noise, so I know he is coming), drags his blankie down the hall, walks up to my side of the bed (not daddy's for some reason), and grabs onto whatever he finds to help pull himself on the bed (the grab is usually my arm or back). I rollover, Owen smiles and says "hi mom, Owen awake". I look at the clock and then back at his sweet face, wondering why won't he sleep past 6am.


Fast Forward a few nights... Night Six - Mommy puts Owen to bed, we read one book. He was so tired that I am sure he got a very abbreviated version. He looks at me and says "mom, shut the door. Owen go to bed. Night". WHAT? Did our 2 1/2 years just kick me out of his bedroom already? I believe he did. Next morning, he comes in the room and it's 5:45am. Oh no, I take his little hand and we walk back to his bed. I lay him down say "Owen, when you wake up in the morning, you yell for mommy to come get you but you do not leave your bedroom". He understands, he lays down, and I go back to bed. I know he understands because 15 minutes later, he yells just as instructed "mom, Owen awake". Looks like my day is started at 6am (again)!


Night Seven - Daddy is reading books, so Owen comes to tell me goodnight. He gives me a big hug and a kiss and says "mom, Owen stay in bed until morning and then yell mom, Owen awake". We shall see what the morning brings.


We are so proud of his transitions from infant to toddler to preschooler (he's almost there)! Thank you God for blessing us with independent (and yes Owen and Camden are extremely independent) children!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so precious how you are documenting these moments you have raising your kids. Oh Boy does it bring back memories! I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes reading this! Thank you Steph this is GREAT!

Donna said...

Stephanie, this was such a touching post! Funny, sweet, heart-wrenching and loving. I really enjoyed every word. You and Erik are obviously doing a fabulous job parenting. The kids have confidence in themselves and are growing up exactly the way it's intended. Thanks for sharing what it's like to be in your world :)