a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

March 28, 2010

Watch the Road!

Owen has been obsessed with playing inside the cars, no secret here! He would much rather pretend to drive the car, adjust every seat, turn every mirror, pull every cd out of the player.... then watch TV.




He has taken his love to the next level. Within 4 days last week, the following happened:


One afternoon, Kohlenstein house - Owen, Cammie, & mommy are playing upstairs. Owen quietly walks downstairs and when I realized how quietly he was downstairs, I knew that I needed to check on him. I yelled his name, no answer. I went downstairs and looked around, no Owen. My heart started racing and I immediately checked all the doors to outside, all locked (front and back were dead bolted - whew). I ran upstairs (maybe he came back up and I didn't know) and yelled, no answer. I looked in every bedroom, bathroom, closet, under the bed, no Owen. I was completed panic, THINK where didn't I look? I ran back downstairs, checked the door to the garage again, it was locked (but not dead bolted). I quickly decided to check the garage, just in case - There was our sweet little Owen - playing in the car! What happened - he came straight downstairs, opened the garage door, locked the knob behind him and climbed in the car to play. Scary part - the next morning we couldn't find my keys. After looking everywhere, I checked my car knowing Owen was in there. In the little compartment by the radio, my keys sat. Thank you Owen for being so intelligent and knowing you need the keys when you go to the car.


Next afternoon, Kohlenstein house. As we played upstairs, Owen decided to walk downstairs. I let him go, little independence is good. I started to hear the bar stool being drug across the floor. I assume he is getting a snack from a cabinet that he can't reach. After realizing how quiet it got, I went downstairs. No Owen! I looked toward the garage and there it is... the bar stool sitting next to the garage door with the kitchen chair sitting next to the bar stool. I'm sure you are wondering why did Owen move the stools to the garage? Knowing his love for the garage, we have a childproof (ha) latch at the top of the door that the kids can't reach. When they unlock the garage door (which they do often), they still can't open the door with the latch closed. With that said, Owen created a steps with the chairs to unlatched the door, go in the garage, and of course in the car.


Very next afternoon, Bubba's house. Owen, Cammie, Bubba, & mommy are sitting on the back screened porch. Owen quietly walks inside (the door from the porch to family room was open). After a few minutes, I said to Bubba "what is Owen doing inside." I was assuming he found candy or a snack and was hiding. I jumped up, went inside to check. I yelled his name, no answer. I looked everywhere downstairs upstairs, no Owen. I yelled to Suzanne (Bubba), Owen's missing! Here we go again, my heart started racing and I looked out the front door and Suzanne checked the back where we were sitting. Both panicking because Bubba lives on a golf course, golf path is next to the driveway and much busier street (compared to our house in a cul-de-sac). Both yelling and running around, checking in closets, bathrooms, bedrooms, etc. Finally, Suzanne yells "I found him, he's in the CAR"! Seriously, again? We missed checking the car because the driveway is on the side of the house and you can't see the car out the front or back doors. He was sitting in the car, playing with bubble gum and again rearranging everything. What happened - he walked inside the house from the back porch and directly out the front door to the car. Thank you Owen for being such a strategic thinker and always knowing your plan of attack before putting into action.


Very next evening, Kohlenstein house. Erik & I had plans, so Bubba came to babysit. Erik was driving a rental car (very flashy Mazda 5 - interesting car) and Owen of course loved it (especially the key), thought it was so cool. He was holding daddy's keys as we were walking outside and then raced to the car. Owen yelled as he approached the car, "I'm going to unlock the car and open the door for you". We continued to chat with Bubba, standing outside about 20 feet from the car and then we heard it... THE ENGINE STARTED! Owen looked up at us out the front windshield with the biggest smile, he started the car and he shut the door (of course he's inside). We quickly ran to the car, turned it off and pulled him out. Owen says "But mommy, I was just starting the car for you." Thank you Owen for being such a big help, but no honey you absolutely can not ever start the car.



Note to anyone visiting our house - we now keep all car keys (and spare keys) in high places.

No comments: