a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

July 1, 2010

After Bedtime Hours...

I've always laughed when I would hear funny middle of the night stories about my friend’s preschool aged kids. After laughing, I would think there is no way these things will surface in our house especially with Owen.

That all changed 1 week ago. In the past week, the following 3 situations occurred.

At the beach (Ocean Isle, June 24th) - Owen is napping on Aunt Mandy & Aunt Shaun’s watch. Mommy is sitting on the beach and daddy is attempting to surf the waves, when the cell phone rings. Owen has woken up and knowing that he never really fell asleep, Aunt Shaun put him back in bed. Upon entering the bedroom, she noticed Erik’s gum package with almost the entire pack of gum scattered on the floor. The small pile of “chewed up” gum caught her eye (thankfully). Instead of napping, he enjoyed chewing each piece long enough to get the initial juices out and then tossed in the pile. He loves gum, clearly!

At the beach (NMB Condo, June 26th) – After we attempted to have Owen sleep with Poppy (Owen would not go to sleep, he was too busy talking to Poppy), he decided to sleep in the same room with Cammie (and mommy/daddy). After getting Owen settled in bed, me, Erik, & Uncle Ian were watching TV (okay, I was sleeping on the couch) and Erik happened to notice the bedroom light was on – it was now 11pm. Erik opens the door to find Owen standing naked on a bench at the dresser playing with mommy’s make-up (mascara to be specific). Side note – no worries, Grammie the make-up only made it on his fingers and face. Erik, being caught completely off guard, struggled to discipline and ended up bursting out in laughter. No real mess to clean up!

At home (July 1st) - Owen & Cammie are in bed, me and Erik catching up as we finish a late dinner. Erik noticed the kids bathroom light on and went upstairs to find out why. After a quick glance around, he quietly called me upstairs. As I approach the top of the stairs, not only is the bathroom light on but so is Owen’s bedroom light. That’s interesting. I lean to take a peek, after Erik’s lead and can’t believe my eyes. There sits our sweet little Owen with his back towards the door and he is spackling the wall, the stripes on his wall to be specific.

I’m sure you are asking, why would he have spackle? We recently took the baby gate off the top of the stairs and have spent the past few days trying to fill the holes. The large container of joint compound (in pink, but dries white) and spackle knife is sitting on the bathroom sink.

Back to the situation, Owen went in the bathroom and pulled the container and spackle knife off the counter (it is large) and carried it in his room. We can’t figure out how he opened it, it’s very tough to open. Either before or after he brought the joint compound into his room, he went down the hall into our room and took Erik’s pack of gum.

We watch him for a moment as he very neatly spackles the wall and chews his bubble gum… so sweet but so not what he is suppose to be doing at 9:15pm.

Dad: “Owen”

Owen: Turns to us with an attempt of a straight face to cover up the smile that ended up peaking “No, no” he says to us as he points his finger in our direction. This is him knowing he is doing something wrong.

Mom: No words, just big eyes and a quick turn and run out of the bedroom as I burst out laughing. He is so darn cute, even when he puts pink joint compound on his walls and is chewing about 3 pieces of gum!

Dad: “Spit out the gum”

Owen: Without hesitation, he spits out the gum.

Dad: Picks up the empty pack of gum and looks at mom “This was almost a full pack, where is all the gum?” After checking our bedroom and the bathroom for missing gum, he turns to Owen and asks “where is the rest of the gum?”

Owen: “Oh, right here dad” as he quickly scoops up the pieces still in the wrapper scatted in a small pile on his floor next to where he was “working”. Dad exits the room.

Mom: “Owen, is there any more gum in your bedroom that you need to give mommy? Remember earlier today, you got gum stuck in your hair and on your tummy (true story, yes), we don’t want it to be stuck on your floor or bed so please give mommy the rest of the gum.” Seriously, I’m saying this more to just say it… really, I’m sure it was all in one pile that daddy already collected.

Owen: “Let me think, wait…. I think there might be some behind my bed.” He reached his tiny little hand behind the headboard and wall and pulled out two chewed up pieces of gum.

Mom: “Thank you for being honest and giving this to mommy. Now, we do not chew gum without asking and more importantly, we do not ever play with joint compound – it’s poison and very harmful.”

Owen: “Okay mommy, I won’t ever play with the spackle stuff again because it’s dangerous.” It’s a little funny how he never acknowledged the gum statement but I’m letting it slide.

Back in bed he goes… sleep tight my love.

At home, same night, 10:15pm – I hear something. I run upstairs to see Owen standing at his bedroom door… chewing gum. Really, where can there possibly be more gum?

Mom: “Owen, spit out the gum and get in bed, now”

Owen: “Okay”

Mom: “Owen, is there more gum in your room? Where would more gum be?”

Owen: “Hmmm, let me check under my covers.” He seriously lifts up his sheets, no gum. He lifts up his comforter, no gum. He then looks under his pillow, no gum. “Mom, I got it all. There is no more gum in here.”

Mom’s final threat “Go to bed now and do not get out of this bed again”.

Owen: “Maybe I can just chew gum tomorrow.”

Mom: “I love you”

At home, same night, 10:30pm – Owen’s voice. “Mommy, dad… I need water.” My first thought, of course you do after all the gum you chewed. I brought him water and said good night (again). 5 minutes later and I hear him singing? Is that what I hear, him making whistling noises? Bless his little heart, why is he not tired?

At home, same night, 10:40pm - Loud noise from Owen's room.  Up the stairs I run.  Owen is sitting on his bed and I immediately notice (although dark) the letter "N" missing from his wall.  What is he doing that has him knocking his letters off his wall that hang about his bed.  I again tell him "go to bed, now". 

Please sweet child, go to sleep as I know you will be awake at 6am.

Good Night!

No comments: