a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

October 13, 2008

Mommy, Owen & Camden hit the road!

My first long road trip with a 23 month old and a 5 month old… a 5 hour drive to VA. We left on Friday at 1pm, perfectly planned and scheduled, both had eaten lunch and both were tired. As it turns out they were both tired at 12:30pm and wired by 1pm, which is a child’s world translates to an overtired tantrum. 5 hours down the interstate and neither napped, both were exhausted. Camden managed to closer her eyes for 15 minutes until Owen decided to let out very loud screams as he kicked the seat (my seat!). Owen could not decide if he wanted to watch Elmo or Diego, which resulted in me counting to myself and taking deep breaths for most of the trip. We stopped once to change diapers and feed Camden, who decided that formula at a cool temperature, was not desirable; she only ate a few ounces. Owen was so excited to “see Poppy” and “Poppy house” that he wanted “out” after 30 minutes in the car. He had no idea there was another 4 ½ hours ahead. As we arrived in Harrisonburg and exited the interstate, I checked my mirror to see that Owen had finally fallen asleep. That nap lasted 10 minutes before he popped right up and asked for Poppy. Thankfully we were within minutes of pulling in the driveway. We had a great weekend with Poppy & Grammy; Aunt Dawn & Dustin; Uncle Marc, Aunt Kim, Angelina, Gabriella, & Betty (Marc’s mother) – all in town from Pittsburgh. Owen, Camden, and I shared a bedroom. Two pack-n-plays and two babies under two… with one parent to manage bedtime. I thought bedtime was going to be tough; both were so exhausted they fell right to sleep. Camden in bed at 7:15pm and Owen to follow at 8pm. Can you believe he didn’t make a peep, he did not wake his sister! Wine became my friend and I looked forward to a great night sleep. 6:15am… my sweet little Camden wakes, talking up a storm. I was so worried about getting them to bed quietly, I forgot that Camden wakes early to talk and play in her crib before we get at 7am (she usually falls asleep). Owen is up next, minutes later. He wants to talk to “Cammie”. He climbs in bed with me and lays quietly for a bit. I finally realize there is no chance of me or Owen going back to sleep and Camden clearly is ready to play. Mommy was very tired!






The weekend was a blur, I blinked my eyes and it was Sunday at 12pm… time to load in the car for our 5 hour ride home. The ride home was strategically planned to ensure that I did not miss naptime! Before we hit the interstate, both Owen & Camden were sound asleep. Owen slept for about 1 ½ hours and Camden for her usually 1 hour nap. Both were very rested and happy when they woke (I was hoping for longer naps, but not complaining). I tried to limit my liquid intake as I dreaded the thought of dragging both children in a bathroom stall with me. It was a nice thought but not well planned. I wasn’t going to make it another 3 hours without using the restroom… McDonalds was the lucky stop. Lucky because the bathroom was actually clean and the stall was big enough. Owen was an angel until he heard the toilet flush, he screamed at the top of his lungs and Camden looked at him in fear. I wondered what the customers thought that were sitting outside the restroom. We went back to the car, diaper changes and a bottle for Camden. Back on the road for another very long 3 hours. “No Elmo”, “No Diego”, “Elmooooo”… back and forth, back and forth. Owen could not decide what he wanted to watch and nothing seemed to please him. What happened to the days when we were kids on road trips? No seatbelts, laying on the back ledge or sitting on your parents lap. We didn’t even have tv’s in the car to keep us remotely happy! About an hour from home, Camden was hungry (again)… we stopped for a quick bottle. Owen asked (yelled) “see daddy” the remaining of the trip and was so excited when we pulled in the driveway. He ran in the house to see Erik’s face, then quickly turned and ran from daddy. This was Owen being overtired, yet again. 5 ½ hour drive, we were glad to be home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was a great weekend.
Missed you on this trip Erick!

Stephanie, thank you so much for taking what little time you do have and creating "Your Family Blog."
You and Erik have blessed our family with 2 precious babies, and it makes me glad that God chose me as their Aunt!

Hey Steph, you forgot to mention that while you were here visiting, you managed to throw an awesome ARBONNE party with 2 of your sisters and 5 of their friends. AND, you made time to visit with a friend who was from out of town. Omgosh...dont forget the haircuts!

Love ya Sis!