a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

May 12, 2011

Owen Starts Karate

The time has come for our little 4 1/2 year old to learn a little self defense (not just from his sister - ha)!  We feel karate is as important as swim lessons, so we have made a huge commitment to take Owen twice a week to eventually earn his black belt.  Our first class was a little touch and go.  You could see the shyness and little bit of nervousness and embarrassment on Owen's face but the teachers were awesome at making him feel comfortable.  Per Mr Baker, it took "12 minutes" to get Owen to actually join the 45 minute class.  We know this was a great decision because after Karate Owen told us he loved it and wanted to come back.  Cammie is a little torn about this experience for Owen - as she sits and watches "I don't want to do ballerina mommy, I do karate with Owen".  The plan is to start Cammie in dance this fall but after watching Owen all summer, her destiny may just be karate - which by the way, is fine by us!

Cammie in her usual mode of torturing Owen - they were playing on the floor in the kitchen and I hear - Owen "Cammie, don't put that key in my ear" - Cammie "I'm noootttt, it's just my finger".  They worked this situation out on their own :)

Another random Owen moment that is no related to Karate but does require mentioning...

It is very strange to wake at 5am to your child calling your name - you know he is in your room but not on the floor in his usual spot.  Me "Owen - where are you".  Owen (crying) "I'm behind the bed".  I look under the bed to find him laying next to the wall.  After he snake crawls out, I ask how he go under there.  Owen "my feet just took me under there."

No comments: