a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

a father, a mother, a son, a daugher, and a black lab. . .

November 17, 2010

Cammie GrOwInG up!

Big girl underwear is here to stay. Not only has Cammie learned to climb out of crib and does so with such excitement as if she accomplished something so huge, but she has been very consistent on using the big girl potty. Thank you LORD, diapers be gone (just before she turns 2 ½ years old)!

Cammie continues to be extremely independent and yes, a little sassy. To prove my point, one recent morning as I was downstairs feeding Owen breakfast, I could hear Cammie in her bedroom awake. She wasn’t making much noise so I let her be for a bit until I heard a loud thump. I ran upstairs to open the door; wait… the door is locked? Ha, good one Cammie – you are 2 ½ years old and you locked mommy out of the bedroom. I reach for the key and open the door. This sweet little innocent face with bed head hair was sitting quietly reading books on her floor. She looked at me in the eyes and said “mommy, get out of my bedroom.” Is she serious and did she really just use a long complete sentence as she demanded to me leave. I was caught off guard that I left the room for just a moment to check on Owen. The minute I walked out of the bedroom, I felt a drift of air as Cammie’s door slammed shut and then “click”. I quickly turn to open the door, it’s LOCKED, again. I unlocked the door and carried her out of the room. She actually thought this was funny.



This was a fun morning before leaving for preschool. Erik left for work at his usual early time, maybe around 6:30am. As I work through the morning routine with Owen & Cammie, we make our way upstairs to get Owen dressed first. Owen enters his room, mommy enters his room, and Cammie enters the room – slamming the door behind her. She grabs a pile of books and begins to read as I am pulling clothes out for Owen. Wow, he got dressed in record time! Next; Cammie’s room.

Wait, what… why is the door locked? Oh for those that don’t know, we have been known to lock Owen in his bedroom to keep him in his room through the night. Of course once we turned the door knob around (to lock on the outside of the room), we put a key on the door frame inside the room. We knew to prepare for the many times we would find ourselves locked in the bedroom.

This morning however, as I reached my fingers along the door frame… nothing! I ran my hands across again as I slowly began to panic. I looked around at these two little children smiling and having no idea why and how we ended up locked in the bedroom.

My first thought, “Thank you Cammie for locking the door before you shut Owen’s door with all of us in the room.” My second thought, my phone! Yes, I actually have my phone on me. Strange, I don’t usually caring my phone around in the morning as I’m getting everyone ready and out the door. First phone call to Erik.

Me: “Erik, where is the key that belongs in Owen’s room? I’m locked in his room with the kids and there is no key.”

Erik: “Oh my, I’m so sorry. I took the key out of the room to unlock our bathroom door that Cammie locked last night and forgot to put it back.” My thought; clearly you forgot to put it back…. Arg!

We need to leave the house in 20 minutes. Owen is the only one dressed and I was preparing to run 11 miles after I dropped off the kids – clearly, I am not prepared at this point. It’s good thing, we have great neighbors and friends. It is 8:20am and Thom to the rescue! I called our neighbor, who was kind enough to answer the phone while at the gym. He left the gym, drove to the house and rescued us. Because I am so skilled out getting out of the house in record time, we moved extra fast and arrived at school on time! Yeah MOM.

No comments: